On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:27:11PM -0800, Angelo Zanetti wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> When adding additional headers to an email that gets sent from the mail
> function. What purpose does the X-Mailer have?

Any X-* header is generally a header that is not a standard but a
way to trace things. Or still in eXperimental mode, not a standard
yet, but a (becomming) common practice.

X-Mailer:, has been in practice, to specify what software
version/versions automatically mailed the email, usually from sort
of script, ie:

> Also are the following linked:
>
> -X-Priority
> -Importance
> -X-MSMail-Priority

No.

Personally, those things are rather useless, practically everyone
sends message with those flags set at 'High', my client ignores
those.

> Another question is can I omit the Message-ID for the email? or will this
> result in some mail servers viewing the mail as spam? What criteria do I
> use to generate the Message-ID?

The message-id is generated by the MTA you shouldn't be generating
this on your own.  The only basic headers you ever (really) need to
send is: