getimagesize() -

I wouldn't worry about people trying to upload scripts - assuming you limit
file-extensions to .gif, .bmp, .jpg, etc. .jpgs generally don't get executed
- unless you have a screwed up webserver install.

The best they will be able to do is have others download the script / code.

What I would worry about is people using your image store to share
information other than what the subject of the image looks like - like
encoding mp3's using stenography - or something like that.

Perhaps either an apache directive to not-execute, or store everything below
the webroot, and readfile() them out.