On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Gabe wrote:

What's the common consensus as to a solid PHP framework to use for application development? There seems to be a number of them out there, but I'm not sure which one's are the most robust, actively developed, secure, etc etc.

Thoughts?

I echo others in that there is not yet a common consensus. I have started putting together my own framework as just a common directory structure and code repository from projects that I have worked on. I prefer my own code because I have this bit of OCD about using code that I did not write if I do not fully understand every aspect of it, unless I fully trust the source. I trust PEAR and often use some code from there.

Anyway, you asked about frameworks. I have been spending some cycles looking at TYPO3 (http://typo3.com/) and so far it is pretty impressive. I have heard from others that it is quite robust and almost a CMS in itself. However I have not fully explored all of it so I will hold my opinion on it until then. I also hear the learning curve for TYPO3 is very steep but well worth the climb.

Jonathan