On 10/14/06, Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello,

Having used php for a while now and am fairly competent I was persuaded by
collegue to look into asp.net.  I decided to download the free trial of
VS2005 and start with a few tutorials.

I am very suprised how easy  things like user auhtentication and form
validation is. Literally in minutes. Even though I have written a similar
script many times for php there is always some tweeking or modifying
required before it fits the project. The asp object model is far superior,
something that PHP developers can't really argue against.

That's a bit like saying that apples are better than oranges. PHP and
ASP.NET, while they were designed to server similar, but not identical
purposes, are different tools. PHP is a programming language, but ASP.NET is
a platform, built on the dotNET framework. You could compare something like
CakePHP to ASP.NET, in pretty much the same way as you could compare PHP
itself to C#.

Now I know asp .net is not ideal for all projects but I am now thinking that
there are some projects that would be suited to the use of .net and the
development time would be greatly reduced. I would like to know

Unless dotNET is a total absolute piece of crap, them I'm sure there are
some things that are better suited to the ASP.NET than to their PHP
counterpart. I suspect this would be mainly things that integrate with other
MS technologies.

-What is planned for the next version of PHP?

Google is good for you.
http://www.corephp.co.uk/archives/19-Prepare-for-PHP-6.html

-How many of  you use both of the technologies?
-What influences your decision when using either ASP, .NET, or PHP

The first thing it would depend on would be whether I wanted a framework or
a programming language. If I wanted a framework I'd go with ( out of the
above choices ) ASP.NET, where as if I wanted a programming language I'd go
for PHP. Given the choice however, I'd go with a PHP based framework for
websites, unless they had to integrate with windos services.

I don't currently know ASP.NET enough to use it for production purposes,
added to the fact that most of our machines are Solaris, and not Windos.

I know people feel very strongly about PHP, however I don't want to start an
argument, just want a decent discussion,

You serious? I would never have thought people on the PHP mailing list would
have any interest at all on PHP.