From: Jack Sasportas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 11:22 AM
To: php
Subject: Re: [PHP] PHP & Java ?

I am echoing the javascript and other html, and at this point *not* putting
values into the javascript.
I take a string like so:

$string="
JavaCode....
HTML<Stuff>
";

I make sure that *everything* in the quotes has only sinlge quotes no double
quotes so that PHP doesn't think its the end of the string, then I echo
$string;

Somehow the java mouseover breaks, then I tried taking the java mouseover
single quotes and putting them back to double quotes preceeded by a \ to
tell
php to ignore that quote, but that didn't work either.
Is it the way I am echoing or something ?

Thanks !

Peter Dudley wrote:

> If it's javascript, then be careful about echoing PHP variables into
> Javascript strings.  If you have something like (in Javascript)
>
> var myString = '<?php echo $phpString; ?>';
>
> and $phpString contains any apostrophes, then the javascript will break
> because Javascript thinks the string has ended prematurely.  E.g, if
> $phpString is "My cat's pajamas" then the javascript would be sent to the
> browser thus:
>
> var myString = 'My cat's pajamas';
>
> and you can see that there are too many single quotes, which will, of
> course, cause Javascript's high-powered debugging utilities to kick in and
> give you a highly useful error report.
>
> Pete.
>
> > While working on some web sites which contain mouse over java, and then
> > adding in some db stuff via php/mysql, the java seems to break.
> > Is there something special I need to do to prevent that break?
> > Is this a common problem?
> > Does using templates get around that problem ?

Jack Sasportas
Innovative Internet Solutions
Phone 305.665.2500
Fax 305.665.2551