Eric Butera wrote:

> My work machine is a OS X iMac that has Apple's php4 standard, plus I
> have a php4 and php5 custom compiled myself.  I've been able to issue
> sudo /path/to/php4/bin/pear or /path/to/php5/bin/pear and that
> installs the packages correctly for each version that I want.
> Apparently this practice is completely wrong given that long string of
> commands seen above.

Hi Eric,

For defaults, PEAR relies on a number of constants, including
PHP_SYSCONFDIR and PHP_LIBDIR.  If these are in fact different for php4
and php5, then yes, your PEAR will "just work" without change.

So no, that practice is completely right :)

I had forgotten this is a possibility, so you might just try it out
Jochem and see if it works.

Greg