On Sunday 19 August 2007, tedd wrote:

> >Not crazy, pretty standard from a database point of view;
> >
> >SELECT a.name, b.points
> >FROM table a LEFT OUTER JOIN table b
> >ON(a.name = b.name)
> >
> >This only works if the name in table a matches a name in table b.
>
> Then why use a JOIN? It's my understanding that JOINs are used to
> included unmatched rows -- am I wrong?
>
> Wouldn't this be simpler?
>
> SELECT a.name, b.points
> FROM table_name a, table_name_points b
> WHERE a.name = b.name
>
> Besides, all that JOIN stuff makes my head hurt.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

There are various kinds of JOINs.  The most common you'll actually use are
INNER JOIN and LEFT OUTER JOIN.

You should use an explicit INNER JOIN over an implicit join (what you have
above) for two main reasons:

1) It's clearer and more obvious what you're doing.
2) The syntax for implicit joins changed very slightly in MySQL 5, so code
using them *may* in some circumstances, break when you upgrade.  (We
discovered this the hard way at work when dealing with some legacy code.)
3) I believe it's more cross-database standardized (nobody expects the Spanish
Inquisition!)

INNER JOINs return rows only if there are matching values in both tables.
LEFT OUTER JOINs return rows if there are matches in just the first (left)
table, and fill in NULL values for the columns from the right table if
nothing matches.

For more information, consult the MySQL manual or a good MySQL forum.

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson