make install should install one, but may be putting it in some place
that it's not expected.

If you are using some kind of package manager like apt-get or RedHat
rpms or whatever, you are in duck soup for where some package-maker
THINKS they should put the php.ini file, and where their binary
actually looks for it...

You can always just COPY the php.ini-dist file to where phpinfo() says
it should be and then edit it.

If PHP cannot find the file, it just uses all the defaults, so it's no
real shock that there's nothing there.

On Sat, December 29, 2007 12:23 am, jekillen wrote:
> Hello;
> I have not had the necessity to deal with php.ini files for some time.
> Now, because I switch from Sendmail to Postfix on one system I
> need to adjust the sendmail path variable. I cannot find a php.ini
> file
> in the specified location. That is not a problem because I can use
> ini_set(). What is puzzling is that my system,
> I built and installed from source on a number of different systems and
> seem to remember that the process creates a php.ini file. Maybe I have
> it wrong but in the past I seem to remember being able to find one to
> make sure register variables was set to off. (or maybe I ignored it
> because
> that is the default now). So, is the fact that this file is missing
> something
> I should be concerned about?
> PS; I have subscribed to the php-install list and get not responses to
> my posts, or e-mails my ISP says contain viruses, possibly from a user
> who requested I contact him (of her) off list.
> Thanks
> Jeff K

Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?