On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Michael Satterwhite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I do know that on bluehost, they actually encourage people to use their own
> php.ini file in their web directory ... and users certainly don't have the
> authority to restart apache.
>
> That said - just for grins, I *DID* restart apache2. It made no difference.

(from before) /etc/php5/apache2 is a centralized directory; i surprised you
even have access to it on a shared host.  do you have your own instance of
linux?  either way i sincerely doubt thats the web directory.  i would try
putting a .htaccess file in your web root.

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc = Off

when you look at the output of phpinfo() there will be 2 columns.  one has
the heading 'master value'  the other has the heading 'local value'  is the
local value different than the master value?  it should be if the .htaccess
file is working correctly (though you many not have permission to use them
[but it is typical to allow php configuration via .htaccess on shared
hosts]).

-nathan