it looks like you're getting your ereg and preg mixed up but try it
like this:

switch(1){
   case ereg("\\.jpg$",$filename):
     echo "JPEG Image";break;
   case ereg("\\.gif$",$filename):
     echo "GIF Image";break;
   case ereg("\\.zip$",$filename):
     echo "Compressed File"; break;
   default:
     echo "Unkown File Type"; break;
}

thats maybe a little cleaner than using if/else if's. also be careful
on the backslash, you have to escape it in double quotes.