BOTTOM POST

Mayer, Jonathan wrote:
I suppose that, as well as updating the database when I click the link, I
could also update a CSS toggle, but I'd really like it to be deciding
whether to toggle only based on the flag in the database.

So:

// check database
if ($toggle == 1)
{
   <textarea>...</textarea>
}
else
{
   <textarea disabled>...</textarea>
}

This is called every time the page is refreshed, of course, but if the
database is changed afterwards, the form doesn't know. I would like some way
of continually checking in the background whether $toggle is 1 or 0, and
update the form appropriately. I assumed AJAX was the way to go.

Perhaps I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, but there is a
reason why I want to store the state of the toggle in the database (as
opposed to simply using a javascript on/off snippet) as I use this
information in other places in the code.
<!-- snip -->

Use AJAX and change the visible section, if you want something that continually updates and stores it, what you need to do is something along the lines of having the text box name clickable, and if they choose to enter something in it, then toggle it in the DB, show it on the form, then take their information from it.

PHP has nothing to do with it.

Wolf