Jim what you sent is very helpful.

I had an error message when I submitted the form with a POST

your_cleaning_function

gave me this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: your_cleaning_function()

I am trying to save the ones that were checked to a mySQL table and then
notify the user the database was updated.  The first thing that happens
is the code you gave me below.  How do I resolve this error?  I get the
concept of functions, but this isn't an area of PHP that I have used
before.

Ron