On 14 Aug 2008, at 22:24, Boyd, Todd M. wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Stut [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:21 PM
To: Dan Shirah
Cc: PHP-General List
Subject: Re: [PHP] Displaying files

On 14 Aug 2008, at 21:57, Dan Shirah wrote:
That simply means it can't open the file. Make sure the machine this
is running on has everything it needs to access that UNC filename.

-Stut

Stut,

If I copy the link from the error message and paste it into a
browser running from my PHP server, the file comes up just fine.

Should I try mkdir() or mkpath() to set the server and folder
location and then try it from there?

The user PHP runs as needs to be able to access it, not you. I'm
guessing you're on Windows...

If you're using IIS then it's the IUSR_machine user which doesn't have access to the network by default. You can enable it but I can't recall
how off the top of my head and you may want to reconsider because it
leaves the server a lot more open should IIS/PHP/else be compromised.

If you're using Apache on Windows then you'll need to check the
service configuration to see what user it's running as.

It can be done somewhat securely by mapping a network drive and then
granting permissions to it specifically, rather than the network itself.
(I believe...)

It's been a while since I've used Windows but IIRC you need to enable network access for that user at the lowest layer (i.e. system policy) and then normal access rules apply, but I could be wrong. Either way I'd avoid doing it if at all possible.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/