I'm not quite sure if this is the perfect way cause I'm pretty new to this
session stuff, too.....
but my version looks like this:

[login.php]
a form with username and password field.
submit --> auth.php

[auth.php]
check if username and password are ok (from a text file or your mysql
database) [yes|no]
[no] -> echo "bad login or password."; exit;
[yes] -> start a session, save username and password in session vars,
redirect to userpage

lets say your userpages look like "aUsername_blah.php"

["aUsername_blah.php"]
include a script on every userpage that checks if login and password are
correct [yes|no]
[no] -> redirect to login.php
[yes] -> display page

comments appreciated :)