Is it possible to break up the parameters of a function with ?> and <?php ??

What I mean by this, for example, is this:

<snip>

<?php

strtoupper(

?>

<?php

);

?>

</snip>

With this example, will it output the following HTML?

<snip>

<TABLE>
        <TR>
        <TD>
        <A HREF="HTTP://WWW.PHP.NET";>PHP.NET</A>
        </TD>
        </TR>
</TABLE>

</snip>

I know it's not a very useful use of strtoupper()... :) But I am curious
about whether it is possible to have the parameters to a function in exited
HTML. Is it possible?

--Jason