Hi,

I use PHP to read data form a mysql 5 table. allow the user to edit the data
and then update the table.  I am having trouble with French characters.

Before the update:  Pas de description détaillée
After the update:    Pas de description détaillée

When I read from the table I wrap the data in the following:
    // Stripslashes
    if (!get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
        $value = stripslashes($value);
    }
    // Convert all applicable characters to HTML entities
    $value = htmlentities($value,ENT_COMPAT);

When I update to the table, I wrap in the following:
    // Addslashes
    if (!(get_magic_quotes_gpc())) {
       $value = addslashes($value);
    }
    // Quote if not a number or a numeric string
    if (!is_numeric($value)) {
       $value = @mysql_real_escape_string($value);
    }

I've tried playing with character sets to no avail.  There mst be a
solution,

Thanks
Don