Once you open up ANY HTML tag to the public you open a huge can of worms and
trouble, like the following for example

Blar');">Click me!</a>

My javascript is not great (I could not think of anything more damaging) but
its pretty clear what the possibilities are.

Strip all tags and use a custom system is my advice