I have a global header.php file that sets up a bunch of stuff: DB,
global variables, and does session_start(). My header.php looks like this:

#header.php
$cookie_life = (86400 * 7); // Cookies last for seven days
session_set_cookie_params($cookie_life,"/",".domain.com",true);
session_start();

This is called globally in *all* my scripts. In another script I'd
really like to set the session to expire after the browser closes if a
uses clicks "public terminal" or something.

I thought I could just set the session cookie to expire after the
browser closes. Can I override the already started session by doing
something like this in my index.php:

#index.php
include('header.php');
setcookie(session_name(), '', 0 ,"/",".domain.com");

When I do this the session expires IMMEDIATELY. I must be missing something?