On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 12:55 -0400, Stephen wrote:

> On 11-10-01 11:57 AM, Jim Giner wrote:
> > I'm trying to set magic quotes Off as my reading tells me that it's not good
> > to have it defaulted to On.
> >

> http://php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.disabling.php
>
> Stephen

Stephen, that page specifies the exact same line for the .htaccess that
he said he used. I'm not sure why it would cause an internal server
error, but I've seen some Apache configurations completely flake over
lines in the .htaccess that were fine elsewhere.

The only thing I can find online where this line will cause a server
error is where the server is set up to allow custom php.ini files which
override the defaults. To test this, try adding a php.ini file into the
directory your script is (this is completely untested, I just saw it on
a forum (http://www.bluehostforum.com/archive/index.php/t-15975.html ))
and enter the regular php.ini line to turn it off.

If that fails, I'd try and contact your hosting provider and see what
they say, as they probably have more information specific to this
problem, as it's most likely a setting of theirs that is causing it.

--
Thanks,
Ash