On 7/2/2012 7:15 PM, Robert Williams wrote:
I found this code in a user comment in the PHP docs for htmlentities():

<?php

function xml_character_encode($string, $trans='') {
$trans = (is_array($trans)) ? $trans :
get_html_translation_table(HTML_ENTITIES, ENT_QUOTES);
foreach ($trans as $k=>$v)
$trans[$k]= "&#".ord($k).";";

return strtr($string, $trans);
}

?>

It seems to work. For instance, this (assuming UTF-8 encoding):

echo xml_character_encode('Château');
echo "\n";
echo xml_character_encode('Ch&teau');

Yields this:

Ch&#195;&#162;teau
Ch&#38;teau

My question is, *how* does it work? It makes sense right up to the return statement.
According to the docs for strstr(), when a non-string is passed in as the needle, it's,
"converted to an integer and applied as the ordinal value of a character."
First, an array-to-int conversion is undefined, though it seems to produce 1 on my copy
of PHP. Now, I'm not quite sure how to interpret the last part of that statement from the
docs, but I take it that the ultimate value supplied to strstr() is going to be either
'1' (the character value of the integer value of the array) or '49' (the ordinal value of
the character '1'). Whatever, neither one makes sense to look for in the haystack, so I'm
obviously missing something.

I think you missed something here...

The above function uses strtr() not strstr()

http://php.net/strtr
http://php.net/strstr

Perhaps it's just late-Monday slowness on my part, but what's going on here? I
have no intention of using this code, but I'd sure like to understand how it
works!

Regards,
Bob
--
Robert E. Williams, Jr.
Associate Vice President of Software Development

________________________________
Notice: This communication, including attachments, may contain information that
is confidential. It constitutes non-public information intended to be conveyed
only to the designated recipient(s). If the reader or recipient of this
communication is not the intended recipient, an employee or agent of the
intended recipient who is responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, or if you believe that you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and promptly
delete this e-mail, including attachments without reading or saving them in any
manner. The unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of
this e-mail, including attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or
telephone and delete the e-mail and the attachments (if any).