Matijn Woudt wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Ashley
Sheridan

<tijn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at
8:55 PM, Ashley Sheridan

wrote:

>mysqli extension seems to have gone away.

>'localhost';
>> >>
>> echo "hello2<br />";
>> >>

>var_dump(function_exists('mysqli_connect'));// this returns
>> >boo(false)
'Store';

>mysqli_connect($host,$user,$password,$db);

>reinstall -
>> >> >>

>> rosenberg:/home/ethan#  apt-get install
>> >>
>php5-common libapache2-mod-php5

php5-cli

>package lists... Done
dependency tree

>> >state information... Done

libapache2-mod-php5 is already the
version.
manually

>> php5-cli is already the newest version.

>> >newest version.
set to manually installed.

>> >0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.

>Ethan

>http://www.php.net/unsub.php

>this in ubuntu forums.
>> >> >

>> >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1814736
>> >> >

>> >sudo apt-get install
interfaces with the MySQL

server has stopped.
>> >Typically

you'd do something like this on RedHat/Fedora servers:

working from within PHP.

Thanks,

>> >I'm sorry, but this is just plain wrong.
>> >The extension has nothing to do with the mysql service. In
fact, a lot
>> >of
>> >the larger websites
have their database service running at a different

>server, and probably don't even have the mysql service installed.
>> >
>> >- Matijn

Look at his connection settings, it says localhost...

>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>>

> var_dump(function_exists('**mysqli_connect'));// this returns
boo(false)

> I think it explains everything.

You guys aren't being terribly helpful.  My mostly stock
12.04 has the mysqli library so something else is going on.  You
might give the guy a little direction rather than berating him. or
me.  His question was about the library being missing.  My
answer was that it was included in the php_mysql package already and that
was the correct answer to his question.  The following is the result
of a "locate mysqli"  I've also followed with a sample
script that I ran against the localhost database which returned 11
rows.

These are the results of the locate command.
/usr/include/php5/ext/mysqli
/usr/include/php5/ext/mysqli/php_mysqli_structs.h
/usr/lib/php5/20090626/mysqli.so
/usr/share/man/man1/mysqlimport.1.gz
/usr/share/php/.registry/mdb2_driver_mysqli.reg
/usr/share/php/MDB2/Driver/mysqli.php
/usr/share/php/MDB2/Driver/Datatype/mysqli.php
/usr/share/php/MDB2/Driver/Function/mysqli.php
/usr/share/php/MDB2/Driver/Manager/mysqli.php
/usr/share/php/MDB2/Driver/Native/mysqli.php
/usr/share/php/MDB2/Driver/Reverse/mysqli.php
/usr/share/php/data/MDB2_Driver_mysqli
/usr/share/php/data/MDB2_Driver_mysqli/package_mysqli.xml
/usr/share/php/test/MDB2_Driver_mysqli
/usr/share/php/test/MDB2_Driver_mysqli/tests
/usr/share/php/test/MDB2_Driver_mysqli/tests/MDB2_nonstandard_mysqli.php

<?
$conn = new mysqli("localhost",
"user", "password", "mysql");

if
($conn->connect_errno)
{
  printf("Connect failed:
%s\n", $conn->connect_error);
  exit();
}

if ($result = $conn->query("SELECT * FROM user")){

   printf("Select returned %d rows.\n",
$result->num_rows);

   $result->close();
}

Mind you I had a lot wrong with this script as I wrote it
because I don't generally use mysqli directly and mysqli didn't complain
about things being wrong.  I thought that was a bit strange since I
work mostly in Java these days and Java complains mercilessly about this
that and the other thing.

Curtis