On 27 Aug 2013, at 17:28, Jim Giner <jim.gi...@albanyhandball.com> wrote:

> On 8/27/2013 11:56 AM, Stuart Dallas wrote:
>> Oops, sent this message from the wrong email address, so the list rejected
>> it.
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Stuart Dallas <stu...@3ft9.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [PHP] Basic Auth
>>> Date: 27 August 2013 16:36:27 BST
>>> To: jim.gi...@albanyhandball.com
>>> Cc: php-general@lists.php.net

>>> For the last time: YOU DO NOT NEED TO MAKE ANY CHANGES SERVER-SIDE.
>>>
>>> From the Javascript, request any URL that requires authentication - it
>>> doesn't matter. When you make the AJAX request, pass an Authentication
>>> header that contains an invalid username and password. If you don't know
>>> what I mean by that, please google how HTTP Basic Auth works.
>>>
>>> -Stuart
>>
> It's not the basic auth that I'm having the issue with - it's the 'header'
> thing and understanding what a 401 is doing and how I'm to ignore it.  Never
> had to play with these things before and this part is all new.  Let's face it
> - I'm an applications guy, not a systems guy. All this talk of headers and
> such is greek to me.

HTTP headers are as important for application guys as they are for systems
guys. I appreciate that this may be new to you, but it's pretty basic knowledge
about how HTTP works.

Basic auth is simple, and you need to understand how it works to understand
what I've been trying to say. Here's how HTTP auth works:

1) Browser hits page.
2) The PHP script knows this page requires HTTP Auth, checks the
PHP_AUTH_[USER|PW] variables but doesn't find anything, so it responds with an
HTTP status of 401 Unauthorised.
3) The browser gets the 401 response and displays the login box.
4) User enters username and password.
5) Browser sends the request again, but this time with an Authorization header
containing the username and password. It also caches the username and password
for use with future requests.
6) PHP populates the PHP_AUTH_[USER|PW] variables with the username and
password in the Authorization header.
7) The PHP script checks those variables as per step 2, finds them, checks
they're correct, and then shows the user the page with a 200 OK HTTP response
(the default with PHP).
8) Every subsequent request the browser sends to that domain will now include
the Authorization header, so the server will never respond with a 401 status
again until the browser session ends (i.e. the browser is closed).

So, to log the user out you basically need to override what the browser has
cached for the username and password. To do this you need to send a request
with a new username and password (technically just a new username). You can do
this with a request like http://bogususername:boguspassw...@www.example.com/
but the 401 response the server returns will cause the browser to display a
login box, which is probably not what you want.

So, we do it with Javascript. Send a request using AJAX to any URL that
requires authentication, setting our own Authorization header with an invalid
username and password. PHP will see that the username and password are
incorrect and will respond with a 401 status as per step 2 above, but step 3
will not happen because AJAX requests don't reach the browser's default
response handlers (i.e. 401 == display login box).

When our Javascript gets the response it simply redirects the user to a page
telling them they've successfully logged out, or whatever you want them to see.
The only reason this works is that the browser has now cached the bogus
username and password you sent in the AJAX request, so if/when the user then
hits another page that requires authentication they will get the login box
because those cached details are not valid.

To send the Authorization header with XMLHttpRequest there are username and
password parameters to the open method:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/XMLHttpRequest.

Hopefully this makes more sense now.

-Stuart