I think that it would be more elegant if you are already in a OOP to keep
the flow and stick to OOP. It just doesn't make sense to me in an
environment that uses OOP to have functions laying around.

Personally I like to group similar functionality together in their own
objects, this way I can reuse them on different projects, the random string
generator is an excellent example of something I usually use in almost all
of my projects.

Function calling is usually faster than object calling (depends on how you
benchmark it) since there is an overhead to it. There are some who tried to
"benchmark" this and had opposite results, It all comes down to how are you
going to use that functionality:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=538076
http://www.micro-optimization.com/global-function-vs-static-method

Personally in my projects - specifically if I use a framework, I try to
stay away from making standalone functions unless absolutely necessary.