You wrote:
> While I do appreciate people's contributions, let me frame the
> discussion a little.  The person I need to convince is an
> administrator of an organization within North America, and he's never
> heard of PHP.  The response I'm hoping to provoke in him is something
> like this:  "You mean _________ is using this PHP thing?  Wow!  They
> know what they're doing, so we'd better use it, too!"
>
> Does this help frame things?  Thanks for the suggestions!
>
> -Maurice

Why don't you just say something along the lines of, "Look, PHP is the
best programming language for the job you want me to do.  What other
sites are using doesn't matter.  Trust me on this.  I don't tell you how
to (fill in the blanks of whatever this person does).  I assure you that
what you're looking for will be accomplished in a way that will please
you, and that's all you need to know.  :)"

Of course, say it in a more tactful, arse-kissing type way than that.
But you get my drift, I think.  ;)

I've always thought "monkey-see, monkey-do" or "what the joneses have"
type arguments were better left to the playgrounds of elementary
schools, myself.  Hopefully, the person you're trying to work with can
understand that.  :)

--
 -Ryan :: ICQ - 595003 :: GigaBoard - http://www.gigaboard.net/