Show them some facts, Jay.

Go to check some articles on the net from reliable websites such as ZDnet or
(if damn lucky) MSN. That could work.
Also, get a real evaluation of their needs and say: This is exactly what
I've done and intend to extend the functionality of. The MS software apart
from being expensive is not much expandable either. Since you develop it you
are having an extra card - you adapt it better to the company needs. And,
you'll have time for it since there would be less trouble with maintenance.

A subsidiary of our company have passed through that once.
They've been running a 400.000 pv/mon site on PHP/PostgreSQL. When, after
some TV commercials and other ad campaigns the traffic increased to 3.5
millions pv/mon the server started going down each 5 hours. The response
time became 8-15 seconds.

I told them: upgrade your hardware, do load balancing, get the db off the
web server to it's own, let us improve the PHP software and add some own
caching systems, plus few more minimal improvements. Expenses would be up to
$12-15k for the machines and faster hosting and $9 for our work on this all.
Time - 21 day.

You know what they did?

They have paid way more money for couple of new servers and a useless Oracle
database. Hired 3 Java programmers and two p/t guys who waited for these
'three genius' rewriting all the thing in Java (the job of p/t's consisted
of just making sure the site goes down a bit less).

Result? Yeah, it's running. They still are keeping the programmers busy
improving the site.

Now, after that lesson it is easier for me to talk about our own sites here.
But at client sites it's hard to convince. I noticed that real-life examples
and testimonials are often working.

Cheers,
Maxim Maletsky