You've gotten a few responses already...  but since you didn't describe the
application, here is an alternative if you are using the random numbers to
retrieve random records from a database (postgreqsl in this example);

$query = "SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY random() LIMIT 5";

am usre the MySQL and others have similar constructs...  again, just in case you
were looking for database use and not just the number use (which others have
more than adequately answered for you).

Dave