just use mysql_num_rows($result) dummy :-)

doh.

sorry to bother y'all.

-----Original Message-----
From: Seb Frost [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 21 August 2001 14:55
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] Detecting empty query result?

Basically I want to check to see if $fileDir is already in my database.  I
do this as:

                $result = mysql_query("SELECT fileDir FROM shoots WHERE
(fileDir='$fileDir')");

How do I check the result?  I normally use

                mysql_result($result, $row, $field)

to read my result, but if I try that I get an error:

                if(mysql_result($result, $row, $field))

gives me:

                Warning: Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 3

cheers,

- seb