Dominic,
    I'd start by checking the libmcrypt installation.
If you're building from source, prior to your installation
check that [mcrypt-src-dir]/src/cipher_test runs without
error.  If that succedes, install libmcrypt (and mcrypt) and
then attempt to test with the command line.  Start by listing
ciphers and modes.  Then attempt to encrypt and decrypt something.
Once you've verified that the underlying code is working, then
attempt to list the ciphers and modes with PHP functions.  In general
the mcrypt examples given by the php manual at php.net/manual were
enough to get me started.

Note, I've experienced problems on Solaris and Linux with the modules
not being found (cipher .so's).  Sometimes it's as easy as setting
directories in php.ini, sometimes I've had to get into the libmcrypt code.

Good luck.

Andy