I have a script which has to do a *lot* of work. In fact, it times out
after 300 seconds, but is only about half done at that point. So I
tried using set_time_limit(0) to no avail (php is *not* running in safe
mode). So next I tried this directive in the apache config file:
php_value max_execution_time 12000 (and various other values too). Now
this changed the value of the constant correctly as reported by
phpinfo(), but not as reported by get_cfg_var(max_execution_time), which
still reported the default 30s. Empirically, the script would still time
out at exactly 300 seconds, as before. So, any idea what is going on?
Why timeout at 300s instead of the 30s or the 12000s which are the only
two values reported? Any other workarounds? This is php 4.0

Thanks, J

--
Julian Wood

Programmer/Analyst