A couple of things:

1.  ASP is not dumb.  It was just written by Microsoft.  Seriously, though
I'd learn both, it would make you much more marketable.
2.  First off, create the database.  Then ask yourself what are the steps
that you have to go through.  What your probably looking at right now is
selecting the information off of the database and reporting it.

I'd _definitely_ think about sitting down with the MySQL manual and the PHP
manual, both of which are availible free.  Also, look for a good MySQL/PHP
book (my favorite is "MySQL/PHP Database Applications", by Jay Greenspan
and Brad Bulger).  You have some work ahead of you, but not a lot.