Hello,

> > These guys resort to these marketing tricks to promote Python as hell,
> > and the PHP people just sits and waits doing almost nothing in
> > comparision to promote PHP as hard as they can even when they lives
> > depend on the acceptance of PHP as a wide spread language!
>
> Manuel, please, give this tirade a rest.  Nobody associated with Python
> development was involved in this "amazing" marketing trick you are
> referring to.  Somebody just decided to do this on their own.  And now you
> are criticizing the PHP developers for not having the same foresight as
> the Python developers?

Yes. I feel that it is a constructive criticism, like saying, there are
plenty of ways to market PHP, with or without money, but what you do in
comparision is very little to what Python people do. So, you need to do
more. I am not saying that what you do is wrong.

> It says so right in their FAQ
> (http://software-carpentry.codesourcery.com/faq.html)
>
> "And in answer to some of the more virulent postings on Usenet and in
>  other venues, neither Guido van Rossum nor anyone else associated with
>  Python development was involved in setting up this project, choosing the
>  language, or defining the terms of the competition. Guido was only asked
>  to be a judge after the decision to use Python had been made. If we
>  had decided to use Perl or Tcl, we would obviously have invited Larry
>  Wall or John Ousterhout to join the panel."

What this says is something like if applied to PHP, what we are doing
was not Rasmus initiative, although he accepted to be a judge in the
contest. That doesn't matter, they are still committed to market Python
like hell.

> If somebody wants to put up $100,000 for a PHP software contest, perfect,
> great, we will be every bit as cooperative as the Python developers.

Money doesn't come that easily. You have to go after it if you feel it
is needed. What won't help is staying there and do nothing, because I
think the money won't come to you from the sky. You need to find
sponsors. I'm sure it won't be hard if you really bother to look for
them.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos