Perhaps you should just use cold fusion then, if you're that
hot and heavy into tag-based languages.

tagservlet.com has a Java/CF hybrid which may hold some interest.

PHP's strength, IMO, is that it's NOT a tag-based language.  You can create
any functions you want and call them already from a <? ?> combination

<?=myFunction($params);?>

Separating code/content is a much stronger idea, with just variable
replacements
in the 'template'.  In the examples below, how do you gracefully handle
errors?
You don't - not without addding more code to the file.

Or look more into XML/XSLT stuff.