Jeffrey,

Ensure your ORACLE_SID is also set.
This is a case of Oracle environment variables.
Log in as the oracle user and look at the output of an 'env'.
You are missing something there.

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers