i realize a solution using strspn/strcspn was offered, but you asked for
eregi :)

anyway, i use ereg, but i think this should work

eregi("^[a-z0-9_\-]+$",$string)

notice that i had to escape the dash with a backslash

the plus sign forces atleast one character. you can use {x,y} in place of
the plus to force atleast x characters but no more than y characters.

mike

 -- mike cullerton