From: John Lim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 9:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Session storage and the --with-mm option

This doesn't explain why mm is causing such a memory bloat though.

Mark, are you storing big arrays as session variables? I am using mm
myself for sessions and never have these problems (I only store less
than 1K of data in sessions anyway).

Regards, John

Jeremy Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Sessions by default will use the file system to store session data.
> Using the file system on a site that utilizes sessions moderately can
> be negative as far as performance goes.
>
> Using shared memory simply means that session data is now stored in
> shared memory. Shared memory is a bit more efficient than using the
> file system. Where session data is stored is supposed to be sort of
> black box and transparent to the actual use of sessions.
>
> You can also define a group of custom session handling functions to
> use any device your mind can imagine for session storage. Anything PHP

> can easily connect to (Java, RDBMS, ...) the sky is the limit.
>
> Take a look at session_set_save_handler (for custom session handling
> routines).
>
> Once you get your session save handler working it is transparent to
> the use of sessions. If your having performance troubles with sessions

> using the file system, shared memory may be the best way to go.
>
> Take a look at this page http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php
>
> To actually use shared memory you must modify the option
> session.save_handler in the php.ini file.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeremy Allen

For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To
contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]