Hm, I thought about that way - technically it was indeed a way to go since I
don't want to perform this action everytime but only for testing purposes
(so time doesn't matter).
But aren't arrays in PHP internally stored in a hash-like system which's
size doesn't have to be equal to the sum of it's content?
I'm more interested in how many kbytes of RAM my array is using than the
size in bytes of it's content...

But thank you anyway for helping me!
best regards
Stefan Rusterholz