From: Michael Sims [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 3:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Re: Mommy, is it true that...?

At 04:51 AM 12/21/2001 +0200, Bogdan Stancescu wrote:

> > >...not to mention open source code.
> >
> > Oh yeah.  Guess I had a mental lapse there.  If you are using, say, a
> > script downloaded from freshmeat.net and it happens to be poorly secured
> > then obviously the entire free world is going to know how to exploit
your
> > copy of it....duh....
>
>Actually that's exactly what I had in mind. Heck, if your point is that
they
>don't know your URL then what's the point in the whole security issue
anyways?

I'm sorry, you've lost me.  When did the question of knowing URLs come into
this?  I was referring to a hacker having access to your PHP script source.

Freshmeat.net is a very popular database of linux software and includes a
wide variety of PHP scripts.  My point was that if you downloaded an
insecure script from such a popular site then you are asking for trouble
because chances are thousands of would-be hackers have ALSO downloaded the
same script and have familiarized themselves with ways that it can be
exploited...