I wrote a php program that has to do a lot of processing on a couple large mySQL
tables that can take hours, so often the page will time out or kick back a
cannot find server errir. But it seems by checking the DB that records are still being
updated. IS it possible the job runs in background even though it fails to
delive the final results in the browser? I don't need the final results, it just says
when the job is completed.

Ideally, I would like to run the job in the background anyway. Can that be done?