Typically, when people talk about 'native' database access, they're
referring to accessing the database using the database's native interface,
not that the language directly supports the database.  (i.e.: not limiting
everything to the lowest common denominator).  The advantage you get from
native access is speed.  The disadvantage you get is having to change code
to access a different database.

It's similar to you speaking to a foreigner in their native tongue, versus
using an interpreter who knows a language you all know, but isn't native to
any of you.  Communication will happen faster if you and the foreigner don't
have to talk to somebody else to talk to each other, and it will happen even
faster if one of you is speaking the other's language.

On the graphic creation topic, the difference between the gd DLLs (which
come with PHP) and the equivalent DLLs for ASP (which don't come with ASP),
is that the PHP DLLs are 'first party' (provided by the same group which
provides the language), while the ASP DLLs are 'third party' (provided by a
different group than that which provides the language).  Also note the fact
that you don't HAVE to compile PHP's gd support as a DLL.  It's completely
possible to compile PHP in such a way that it contains the php-provided gd
interface code instead of creating a seperate library.  (Don't really know
why you'd want to always have the gd code active and taking up memory if you
don't want to use it, but that's a different story.)

        - Theo