aha! see, i didn't understand the whole picture. so, let me see if i can
create another question. suppose

 if (($a_good = ($a == 'a')) && ($b_good = ($b == 'b'))) blahblahblah();

are you saying, that $b_good should always have the result of ($b == 'b')
even if $a != 'a'? that's not what my test shows (hi bogdan :)

so, is there something other than && that forces the other half to be
evaluated?

interesting...
mike

on 8/23/01 5:19 PM, TD - Sales International Holland B.V. at [EMAIL PROTECTED]