On Friday, March 1, 2002, at 02:28  PM, Jason Wong wrote:

> On Saturday 02 March 2002 02:03, Daniel Grace wrote:
>> As for the median value, there's a relatively easy way to do this in
>> PHP:
>
> I think Erik has gotten his terms mixed. He wants the "most-chosen"
> value,
> which is the "mode" and not "median".
>
> To get the mode, use array_count_values();

I told you guys I was bad at math!  I don't even remember the terms...
thanks to everyone who replied to this thread with advice, it looks like
I can do:

- grab all values from the desired inputs and slap them into an array
- run the array against array_count_values() to get the number of each
   input value in that array (in the form of a new array)
- rsort the resulting new array (of 'value => occurrences' form) to put
the
   highest-numbered array at the beginning of the array
- the key of the first element in this rsorted array is the value I am
   looking for -- the most-chosen value from the initial user inputs
- array_flip the array inside the first element of the rsorted array to
make
   the key into the value and vice versa
- my desired value is now the value of the first element in the array

It seems like a lot of work, but sounds logical.  The end result is the
most-chosen value from the user inputs becomes the value of the first
element in the array returned by array_count_values() after that array
has been rsorted and flipped.

Crazy!

Erik

PS: can anyone see a flaw in this scheme?  Can anyone even tell what I'm
talking about?

----

Erik Price
Web Developer Temp