I am doing a session_start and am definately not using session_register
(minus <? and ?>, the exact code is in my original email).
phpinfo reports register_globals is off. Is there something else in the
php.ini file I need to turn on to 'enable' $_SESSION?

I tried using the php.ini-recommended and it didn't work either.

Any other ideas?