From: Fifield, Mike [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 11:22 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] Performance question

Ok I have a performance question. I run a wallpaper site; this is the url to
the main gallery page http://www.cognitivedistortion.com/php/gal.php
<http://www.cognitivedistortion.com/php/gal.php>  The page does a dir read
and lists all pictures found in each directory, it does this every time the
page is loaded. Now at first this seemed like a incredible inefficient way
to do generate pages. The alternatives to this would be to generate a list
of the pictures and save them in a text file, or create a list of the
pictures and store them in a database. If I use a text file I will have to
read the text file every time the page is generated which seems like it
would take just as long as reading the file allocation table, which I am
doing now. As for the database to get the same thing done I would first have
to log into the database and then pull the information.
I was hoping to get some input as to which would be the fastest/ best way to
use.

Mike Fifield
Charles Schwab & Co, Inc.
WARNING: All e-mail sent to or from this address will be received by the
Charles Schwab corporate e-mail system and is subject to archival and review
by someone other than the recipient.