> Mine produced the same error message as yours, Jason, but the memory
> and CPU usage continued until I hit the 'stop' button on the browser.
> It seemed to have overridden both time and memory limits, as it had
> racked up 320 megs of my RAM by the time I stopped it.

It certainly didn't do that here, but it could be a difference between
RAM, PHP and Apache versions (simple paranoia ;)) that causes it.

PHP clearly sent the error *to my browser* and the browser stopped loading
immediately (thus, the "fatal" error was indeed fatal, and PHP terminated
at that time).