Unix systems have a program called 'file' that will look inside a file to
try to figure out what sort of data it contains, regardless of how it's
named. Generally it just looks at the first few bytes for a telltale
fingerprint but there are all sorts of rules for different file types.
This is similar to the mechanism IE uses to override server-sent MIME
types.

You can send the path of your uploaded file to the 'file' command and
parse the output to see what sort of data appears to be contained within.

Try it on the command line to see what sort of output it produces for
various file types.

miguel