From: Dan Hardiker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: May 2, 2002 8:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] PRIMARY KEY vs. INDEX

To clarify, an indexed field is *not* inheriently unique. You can have an
indexed field which is not unique, and a unique field which is not indexed
(hence the options being available).

A primary key is both indexed and unique (with the slight adaption of
compound keys)... but this is majorly off topic.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/

- Dan

> Christoph,
>
> Indexes are built on key fields, so yes. When a field is identified as
> a  key it is indexed.
>
> To answer your second question, it is the index which maintains the
> uniqueness of a field.
>
> A book is a really good analogy. If you wanted to look up the
> references to  "string", you can do it very quickly in the index. Even
> if you don't come  close to the "s" section, you immediately know
> whether to look next to the  right or to the left. If you push the
> issue, and act extremely dumb (like a  computer), you'll find the page
> containing "string" within 7 hits; once  you're on that page it's a
> short read to find the term. That's what makes  searching on indexed
> fields so fast.
>
> To find the term in the book requires you to start reading on page 1
> and to  read text until you find the term. Which why searches which do
> not take  advantage of key fields are so slow.
>
> Indexes are your friend, they don't slow down the addition of records
> that  much, and make retrieval of records extremely fast.
>
> Regards - Miles Thompson
>

> At 02:13 PM 5/2/2002 +0200, Christoph Starkmann wrote:
>>Hi there!
>>
>>I guess I got a very easy question for the pros here...
>>I've been searching the documentaion of mySQL, but didn't
>>find the answer (even though I'm sure it's out there
>>somewhere :))...
>>
>>Is a primary key in mySQL automatically indexed? And is a
>>unique field indexed automatically ?(I don't think and
>>don't hope so, but one never knows)
>>
>>Thanx,
>>
>>Kiko
>>
>>--