On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 00:10, Miguel Cruz wrote:
> On Sat, 11 May 2002, Andrew Conner wrote:
> > I have a script where I need to get the text from line number
> "$line" in
> > file "$filename" then save it to a var ($text) and then print it.
> For
> > example, in the file lamb.txt (just an example file):
> > "Mary was
> > a little lamb, whose
> > fleece
> > was as
> > white as snow."
> > I need to get line number 3 ("fleece") and print it ("print
> $text").
> > How would I go about this?

Perhaps you might say, using a for loop, with x=$somelineno, type of
format might be the easiest way to do this from user input or some such
thing.
> fopen() the file and call fgets() three times. The return from the
> third
> fgets call will contain the third line (including the terminating
> newline,
> so strip() it if you don't want that).
>
> miguel

Austin Gonyou
Systems Architect, CCNA
Coremetrics, Inc.
Phone: 512-698-7250
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and
try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger.
But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will
reduce the danger by half."
Sir Winston Churchill