> Can arrays be passed to functions just like a simple variable?

Yes.

> Can arrays be passed as values in hidden form fields just like a
> simple variable?

Yes, with a little work.

> I've been playing around with these and getting inconsistent
> results.  I've been trying things like serialize and urlencode,
> but still haven't worked out a straightforward 'rule' or policy.

For example:

  $arr = array('color' => 'red', 'fruit' => 'apple');

  $str_arr = urlencode(serialize($arr));

  <input type="hidden" name="foo" value="<?php echo $str_arr ?>">

And in the action script, do:

  $arr = unserialize(stripslashes($_REQUEST['foo']));

Notes:

  a) stripslashes may be needed, in case magical quotes
     get in the way (magic_quotes_gpc).
  b) am using $_REQUEST, you may use $_GET or $_POST or
     whatever contains the form value.
  c) hidden, text, textarea ... doesn't matter.
  d) a way to test if what _should_ be an array
     is really an array is with print_r() and/or
     is_array().  print_r($arr);
  e) we don't need urldecode() because that'll
     happen automatically when going through the form.
  f) you could use implode() instead of serialize too.

> Can someone throw some light on this?

I hope so :)

Regards,
Philip Olson