From: Jason Wong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>Try comparing reading 10K rows from a DB using Perl and PHP would be a more
>useful benchmark.
---
When's the last time you wrote a Web page that needed 10K rows displayed?

Writing good _and relevant_ benchmarks is one of the more difficult things
to do in CS. Personally, I look at the time it takes me to code and debug
things since that's the most expensive part of the cost equation to my
customers - hardware's cheap compared to me. I can get something of
production quality up and running on PHP much faster than I can in Perl -
probably due to 20 years of programming in C - so my customers are happy.
Considering that 95% of the time the bottleneck is the bandwidth, not the
application code, and the other 5% of the bottleneck is in the database
application section, my customers don't demand any artificial language
benchmarks.

Mark C.