Your approach actually seems pretty good to me.  I've used two other
approaches in the past though and I'll describe them to give you some other
ideas.

Option 1:  Multi-Page Form
You submit a document in stages.  From the user's perspective, they click a
button to "add document".  This lets them add the first page of the
document.  Submit the first page and a web page displays the first page and
provides a link to add page.  Click the add page button and receive another
form.  Entering information into this form and submitting creates a new page
that gets appended to the document.  Repeat process.

Option 2:  Single form - auto page breaking
Have a single form people copy their document into.  The entire form goes
into the database.  When the system goes to display the document, you use
string functions to grab a range of characters from the text that get
displayed.  For example, page 1 will display characters 0 through 2000.
Oop... I just remembered, I think I broke this out by words to make sure
individual words weren't chopped.

Hope that helps =)

-Ed